By Stephen W. Angell, Pink Dandelion
This ebook presents the main accomplished theological research to this point of the paintings of early Quaker leaders. Spanning the 1st seventy years of the Quaker move to the start of its formalization, Early Quakers and their Theological idea examines extensive the lives and writings of 16 well-liked figures. those contain not just well-known authors comparable to George Fox, William Penn, Margaret Fell, and Robert Barclay, but additionally lesser-known ones who however performed both vital roles within the improvement of Quakerism. every one bankruptcy attracts out the major theological emphases of its topic, providing clean insights into what the early Quakers have been quite asserting and illustrating the diversity and fidelity of the Quaker message within the 17th century. This state of the art quantity encompasses a wealth of fundamental resources to fill an important hole within the current literature, and it'll profit either scholars and students in Quaker experiences.
Read or Download Early Quakers and Their Theological Thought: 1647-1723 PDF
Similar christianity books
The ebook you can't manage to pay for to not read.
It is already affecting your life…
And it is going to impact your future!
Is it attainable that there exists a three-thousand-year-old secret that…
· Has been selecting the process your lifestyles with no your figuring out it?
· Foretells present occasions sooner than they happen?
· printed the dates and the hours of the best crashes in Wall road historical past earlier than they happened?
· decided the timing of 9/11?
· Lies in the back of the increase of the United States to international superpower… and its fall?
· Has forecast the emerging and falling of the world’s inventory industry all through smooth times?
· Lies in the back of international wars and the cave in of countries, international powers, and empires?
· Holds key to what lies forward for the realm and on your life?
· and lots more and plenty more….
Not easy a frequent trust that non secular everyone is politically illiberal, Marie Ann Eisenstein deals compelling facts on the contrary. during this astonishing and critical e-book, she completely re-examines earlier experiences and offers new study to aid her argument that there's, in truth, a good correlation among non secular trust and perform and political tolerance within the usa.
Arius is generally thought of to be Rowan Williams's magnum opus. lengthy out of print and not ahead of on hand in paperback, it's been newly revised. This elevated and up to date variation marks a massive publishing occasion. Arianism has been referred to as the "archetypal Christian heresy" since it denies the divinity of Christ.
Systematic Theology is the capstone of Robert Jenson's lengthy and special profession as a theologian, being a full-scale systematic/dogmatic theology within the vintage layout. this is often the second one and concluding quantity of the paintings. the following, Jenson considers the works of God, interpreting such subject matters because the nature and position of the Church, and God's works of construction.
- Black Theology in Transatlantic Dialogue (Black Religion/Womanist Thought/Social Justice)
- Baby's First Nativity (First Bible Collection)
- The Baker Illustrated Guide to Everyday Life in Bible Times
- Divine Discontent: The Religious Imagination of W. E. B. Du Bois
- Unreachable: One Man's Journey Through Drugs, Violence, Armed Robbery and a Miraculous Encounter with God in Prison
Additional resources for Early Quakers and Their Theological Thought: 1647-1723
Yet the historical emphasis among Friends at the start of the twentieth century was not limited to modernist scholars like William Charles Braithwaite and Rufus Jones whose work has been much discussed and debated. In 1900, the British Meeting for Suﬀerings agreed to appoint, at the Recording Clerk Isaac Sharp’s prompting, a Librarian for the Friends Reference Library in Devonshire House. The person appointed was Norman Penney (1858–1933), who had spent the previous sixteen years serving the Home Mission Committee in Hawes, Melksham, Gloucester and London.
An example of the earlier view would be Douglas Gwyn, Covenant cruciﬁed. ” 14 See Chapter 4, this volume. 15 Howgill, “A testimony,” prelims. See Isaiah 56:8, Psalm 147:2, and Jeremiah 30:17. 16 See Chapter 9, this volume. 17 Barclay, An apology for the true Christian divinity. ” 19 See Chapter 1, this volume, by Douglas Gwyn which includes mention of the Ranters. 20 Moore, Light in their consciences. 21 Bruyneel, Margaret Fell and the end of time. 22 Hinds, George Fox and early Quaker culture.
31 For an important case of conﬂict within the Quaker movement on ecclesiological questions, see Carla Gardina Pestana’s chapter in this book on John Perrot. For the interaction of hermeneutics and ecclesiology in another conﬂict later in the seventeenth century, see Michael Birkel’s chapter on George Keith. 32 Fox, Journal, p. 63. 33 Fox, Journal, p. 34. 34 Fox, Journal, p. 23. 35 Fox, Journal, p. 337. 36 For more on the Christology of the Nayler crisis, see Gwyn, The covenant cruciﬁed, chapter 5.